AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
Almost eight years after the game launched on macOS, life simulator The Sims 4 is now free for all, as of October 18.
EA Play and EA Play Pro members can receive an upgraded experience with member-only bundles of The Sims 4 in The Play List.
From September 14 through October 17, all players who have purchased The Sims 4 base game received the Desert Luxe Kit as a gift. Desert Luxe contains new build items such as a couch, fireplace, curtains, and more inspired by the landscape of the Southwestern desert and materials such as stone and wood.
The Sims is arguably the most popular game for life simulators. Like previous titles in the series, The Sims 4 allows players to create and dress characters called Sims, build and furnish houses for them, and simulate their lives.
Minimum System Requirements
The game has been around for a long time, and most any modern Mac will handle the game. But EA says the minimum system requirements for Mac users are:
- OS: OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Metal required.
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better.
- Memory: At least 4GB.
- Hard Drive: At least 15 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games.
- Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560 or better.
- Input: Keyboard and mouse.
- OS: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later
- CPU: Intel Core i5 or better
- Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560 or better
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Hard Drive: 18GB of free space